Every summer, for years now, we have been making this deceptively rich tasting cold soup…which we adapted from July 2007 Gourmet Magazine. (Click on the link for the Epicurious recipe.) The soup is delicious and easy to make.
- 1 seedless cucumber (about 16 oz)*
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (6-8 oz)
- 2 scallions, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup well-shaken chilled buttermilk
- 1 ½ cup cold water
*If a seedless cucumber is not available, use 2 regular ones and seed them.
- Cut cucumber into 3 equal pieces, then coarsely chop 2 pieces. Quarter the avocado lengthwise, then pit, peel, and coarsely chop one half.
- Blend together chopped cucumber, chopped avocado, scallions, mint, buttermilk, water, and 1 teaspoon salt in a blender until smoother, 1-2 minutes.
- Chill soup, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Cut remaining cucumber and avocado into 1/4” pieces and stir into soup.
- Season with added salt and pepper.
- If too thick, thin with additional water.