I like this soup because it is mild and light and it has grain/legume combination for protein – as well as 2 veggie servings. Works equally well in summer or winter. The recipe makes 4 servings of 265 calories each. For the garam masala recipe on this blog, click HERE.
- 2/3 cup dried garbanzo beans*
- ½ teaspoon soda*
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala.
- 8 small red skinned potatoes quartered (about a cup)
- ½ cup quinoa
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups chopped baby spinach leaves
This recipe makes 4 servings at 265 calories each. It is high in protein and dietary fiber.
- *THE NIGHT BEFORE, soak the garbanzo beans in 1 ½ cups of water adding the 12 teaspoon soda (the soda helps soften the beans).
- Before starting the soup, drain the beans and rinse a couple of times. Set aside.
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until beginning to brown (about 6 min.).
- Rinse quinoa by placing it in strainer and running water over it for a few minutes
- Add masala, potatoes & quinoa and stir to coat.
- Add garbanzo beans, broth and water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped spinach and stir into broth until it wilts.
- Add more water, if desired.
- Taste and correct the seasoning adding salt and pepper to taste.