Tuna salad is the ultimate cupboard dish! It is so easy that you hardly think a recipe is necessary. However, as cooks we sometimes forget that what us is second nature might prove a challenge to the uninitiated. So, here is my recipe for Tuna Salad, although it never occurred to me that I need one!
- 1- 7 ounce can of water packed tuna
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon chopped dill or sweet pickles
- 2 tablespoons chopped red or sweet onion
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- Optional: parsley, olives, capers
- Chop the pickles, onion, and celery. (And any optional additions)
- Place the tuna in a medium size bowl and break it up with a with a fork.
- Add the mayonnaise and the rest of the ingredients.
- Plate the salad on a bed of lettuce. You could also stuff it in a tomato or artichoke.
If you are going to use the salad in a sandwich rather than plating it, it would be better to chop the additions in bigger chunks, and place all the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse and mix, stopping a time or two to scrape down the mixture.