Read the unconventional preparation method before beginning! They are moist and chewy and, most of all, easy!
- 1& 1/4 cups packed pitted dates
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 & 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare parchment line baking sheets
- Coarsely chop dates & set aside.
- Coarsely chop walnuts, if using, & set aside.
- In a 3 quart saucepan melt butter over low heat and remove pan from heat.
- Add brown sugar, stirring until smooth, and sift flour, baking soda, and salt over butter mixture.
- Lightly beat egg in a cup and stir into the mixture along with the vanilla, oats, dates, and optional walnuts until swell combined.
- Spoon slightly rounded tablespoons of dough about 2 inches apart onto the baking sheets.
- Bake cookies on the middle rack of the oven until golden brown, about 15-18 minutes.*
- Transfer cookies to racks to cool.
Yields: About 2 dozen large cookies
Note: * Cookies are always chewier if slightly undercooked!