Paired with goat cheese on a slice of French bread, this chutney makes for an unusual and delicious appetizer. The other use for chutney is as a spread in a sandwich (Fancy!)
Chutney is a particularly good accompaniment for pork or chicken.
- 1 ½ cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large Fuji apple
- 1 cup raisins
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 large jalapeño chili with seeds, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 ½ cups chopped peeled Fuyu persimmons
- Combine all ingredients except persimmons in a heavy large saucepan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture thickens but some juices remain, stirring frequently, about 25 minutes.
- Add persimmons and simmer until persimmons are tender, about 15 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.