This recipe needs a couple of hours to blend flavors!
- 1 cup wheat berries (or farro)
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium tomato, finely diced
- 4 cup arugula
- ¼ cup English peas, frozen
- Italian sausage link, cooked, and cut into 1/8″ coins*
- Add the wheat berries to the pot of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to low-simmer and cook for 30-45 minutes checking towards the end of cooking to have the berries soft but not bursting.
- Drain refrigerate until ready to use. The wheat berries can be refrigerated for a few days if not used right away.
- When ready to put the salad together…
- In a bowl large enough to hold the salad, mix the olive oil, vinegar, salt & pepper to make vinaigrette.
- Finely chop enough of a red onion to make ½ cup (add to bowl).
- Finely dice a medium size tomato (add to bowl).
- Wash and drain about 4 cups of arugula .
- Chop up about ¼ cup to add to the salad, reserving the rest.
- Add the wheat berries to the bowl as well as the other ingredients.
- Stir, cover and let rest at room temperature for 1-2 hours to blend flavors.
- Mound the salad on individual plates on reserved arugula and serve.
*The addition of sausage is optional. If no sausage is used, you will have a vegetarian salad. The photograph used does have the added sausage coins.